1 size for 3 calibers

Hiker 1

Hi all,

I'm going to start the process on a second can. I would like one that I could use for .308, .300 Blk and .223 just with different adapters.

One of the .223's is a Tavor.

What would you guys recommend?

The SilencerCo Saker 7.62 is the best all-around rifle silencer on the market today. There are other great choices for a little bit less, but if you can afford it you should definitely get the Saker.

I don't have time to tell you all the reasons why, but just trust me on this. Go buy the Saker right now! :D

Whoa! Please....elaborate! I have a Gemtech for an AR conversion, but multiple calibers? Adapters? I am unfamiliar with these concepts as they apply to silencers.

Arizona Fusilier said:
but multiple calibers?
Every silencer is rated for a maximum caliber level, that means you can shoot any round with a bullet that's the same or smaller diameter, with the same or less pressure. For example, a silencer rated for .308 can also shoot 300 Blackout, 6.8, 6.5, 5.56, and so on.

Arizona Fusilier said:
Adapters?
Most rifle silencers are designed to fit to a proprietary muzzle device provided by the silencer manufacturer. These are often called "mounts" or "adaptors".

TheoHazard - I watched the youtube video on the Saker. Sold!

Thanks for the recommendation. Now for the waiting...:rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply, Theohazard. Is there some efficiency or performance degradation as one moves up or down with their caliber choice?

May I presume the same principle holds true for pistol silencers?

I always thought this stuff had to be "exactly so" if for no other reason than safety.

Hiker 1 said:
TheoHazard - I watched the youtube video on the Saker. Sold!

Thanks for the recommendation. Now for the waiting...:rolleyes:
Nice! No problem! Yeah, the Saker 7.62 is in that category of 7.62 cans that has the perfect balance between size, weight, durability, and sound reduction in my opinion. My SDN-6 is also in that category and I love it, but the Saker is more versatile and it's a little bit stronger.

Arizona Fusilier said:
Is there some efficiency or performance degradation as one moves up or down with their caliber choice?
Generally, yes. Usually a can designed for a smaller caliber will be quieter with that caliber than a bigger can will be with that same caliber.

It's true that cans for larger calibers are generally larger, and usually larger cans tend to be quieter than smaller cans. But this is usually counteracted by the fact that they have a larger bore size and therefore let more gas escape quickly. For example, a 9mm can shooting 9mm will almost always be quieter than the equivalent .45 can shooting 9mm. The same goes for most rifle calibers: A 7.62 SDN-6 is a little bit louder with 5.56 than the M4-2000 (its 5.56 equivalent) is with 5.56.

But this isn't always the case; sometimes if there's a big enough jump in size the larger bore size won't overcome it. For example, my Octane 9 is quieter with .22 than the Spectre II is, even though it's bored out to 9mm instead of .22. This is probably because the 9mm can is big enough that the huge jump in internal volume makes up for the fact that the bore is so much bigger.

Another exception is the 7.62 Saker, and that's because you can change out the endcap on it. So if you put the 5.56 endcap on the 7.62 Saker it will be quieter with 5.56 than the 5.56 Saker is.

Arizona Fusilier said:
May I presume the same principle holds true for pistol silencers?
Yes. Though there's one glaring exemption for both rifle and pistol silencers: You usually don't want to shoot .22 though it, even though it's safe to do so. That's because .22 is a very dirty round that leads up the silencers, and most rifle cans aren't designed to be taken apart and cleaned because with centerfire rifle ammo you don't need to clean it. Most pistol cans are designed to be taken apart, but the lead from shooting .22 will make it much more difficult to take apart. Most .22 cans today are not only designed to be taken apart and cleaned, but they're designed to be taken apart and cleaned even with lead gumming up the internals. Note that I mentioned shooting .22 though my Octane 9 pistol can: The Octane is an exception because it has the same baffle design as the .22 Spectre II and therefore is still easy to take apart when leaded up.

Arizona Fusilier said:
I always thought this stuff had to be "exactly so" if for no other reason than safety.
Yes, but it only has to be "exactly so" in one direction. It's actually far safer to shoot 5.56 through a .308 can than it is to shoot .308 thought it: 5.56 will stress the can less, and the smaller bullet diameter means that a small misalignment of the can is much less likely to cause baffle strikes.

I use a single .30 caliber Wind Talker suppressor on my 7.62 NATO, 7.62x39, and 5.56 NATO caliber rifles.

Wow....how uncharacteristic of the Internet.....that all makes sense!

Thanks Theohazard! Can I push the envelope with one other question (which I hope the OP and others on the thread will appreciate.

When pistols are marketed with "threaded barrels", I have assumed this is an industry standard with respect to silencers.

Is it?

Arizona Fusilier said:
When pistols are marketed with "threaded barrels", I have assumed this is an industry standard with respect to silencers.

Is it?
Yes, that's the case virtually all the time. Most .22s that are sold with threaded barrels have the US standard 1/2x28 thread pattern that all US .22 cans are designed to thread to. And the ones that don't have 1/2x28 threads (.22 pistols like the P-22, SR-22, and M&P-22) have threaded barrels that are too thin and therefore have a smaller diameter thread pattern, but they can accept an adaptor that brings it up to 1/2x28 (sometimes they even come with the adaptor).

By far the most common centerfire pistol calibers that come with threaded barrels are 9mm and .45 ACP, and these either come with a metric left-hand thread pattern or a US right-hand thread pattern (13.5x1 LH metric or 1/2x28 for 9mm and 16x1 LH metric or .578x28 for .45 ACP). Regardless of which kind of threaded barrel you end up with -- US or metric -- you can switch out the piston on your pistol can to fit it.

Back