#1 MK 1* enfeild fix it or not

jackpine

So first the good. 1911 made #1 mk 1* rifle with correct magazine, matching bolt with feed guide in working order and windage and elevation adjustable issue rear sight. The bad indian MK III stock, magazine cut off missing and the worst----four ugly looking holes drilled in the left hand side of the reciever.

So what do you think? is it possible to find the parts to make this right? I know that I could have the holes welded up but I'm not going to do all that work if I can't get the right parts to finish it up and I'm not sure that it's worth it as I could leave it as is and have it rebored and use it as a shooter.

Restore it. The holes should be plugged with steel set screws. Then peened, (expanded) tight in threads, then ground flush with receiver. This often creates a invisible repair.

Furniture sets are around, take your time and find a nice set, about $150+/- for something nice.

Evil bay is a good source for parts.

Can you post a picture of the holes? Might make it easier to judge. Mk I* are always worth restoring in my book. I spent 7 years restoring my 1907 MK I***

TK

sorry no pictures. looks like they would match up perfect with a side mount scope base but drilled and tapped by an unskilled hand

I think the estimate for the furniture might be a little low. The correct front handguard (if one comes up) on evilbay can set you back $300 on it's own. Have seen the rear handguards for the 150 mark, but a good foreend will go closer to $600, but only seen once in a blue moon.
Do what Tidewater_Kid did, stick it away and grab the bits as you see them. My Mk1*** restoration took 3 years, but I had the right foreend and rear handguard.
It will be well worth the restoration, but not your sanity trying to do it any faster.

No, not No1. They aren't much dearer than your no4 bits. He is restoring a Sht LE Mk1. It's this confusion that's caused when the right name isn't used. These rifles were obsolete long before the name change to "Rifle No1" came about. They were noted in the LoC not to be included so stayed the Mk1.
Cheers ;)

Back