1/2-oz 12 Gauge (for the Search engines)

mehavey

Just playing on the skeet range for the last 9 months -- decide to take the shot weights down.
Hodgdon & Lyman have good Load references, so I walked it down: 1⅛, 1.0, 7/8, 3/4, ... things shot so well-balanced with the 12ga Beretta O/U that I thought I'd take it down to duplicate where my Beretta 410 was as well -- only with better "mass" in swinging up/over on Low Gun.

Only no data -- at all -- for 12Ga_½oz

"The Internet" came up with just duplicating mid point 3/4 oz data for the components (AA/Fiocchi616/Claybuster-CB0175-12/700X/15gr), and putting a felt wad-spacer in the 3/4-oz shot cup.
(Felt was more trouble than it's worth. I settled on using a 1/8" card)

01-12-Gauge-0.jpg

FailSafe -- same powder load, but lighter projectile.
Worked/shot well over about a week-10 days

Decided to save my 700X supply and look for other powder options.
Hodgdon listed that same 3/4 oz load for 700X, Clays, and TiteWad.
I had a coupla pounds of Clays.
Same game: Mid 3/4 oz Loadout (16.9gr), but with lighter projectile (1/2 oz)

AHEM:
A bit of a surprise -- and had to walk it down... "quite a bit"

12-Gauge-0-5oz-Comp-Excel.jpg

Chronographs are your friend.

WARNING: My Beretta/Shotgun, the exact components listed, and my dusty old (but still very reliable) Oehler-35.
Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Very impressive work. Thank you for posting!

Perhaps the most impressive thing is that you didn't shoot your chronograph with your shotgun. I've shot mine several times.

The versatility of a shotgun continues to impress me, and reminds me why I keep that old single shot Stevens in my gun safe. From squirrel to deer, it can do it in a pinch.

Interesting path of development.

Let us know how a half ounce 12 gauge patterns and breaks targets compared to a .410.

The patterning board doesn't show big difference in 23yd/skeet chokes effect between the two Berettas (12/410)
But the 12ga's mass is much more comfortable in swinging into/with the birds.

Adding to the data tonight since I've now got to live w/ a dog's breakfast in primer stock:
Relative/Probable peak pressure effect at far right:

12-Gauge-0-5oz-Primer-Comp.jpg

Last edited:
I can say that my 3/4oz 12 gauge loads absolutely crush targets when I tighten things up at least one constriction from what I would use with a 1oz load

I've loaded a lot of the 3/4 oz loads. Great for teaching young, small frame or recoil sensitive shooters. Great for Cowboy Action, too.
Plus, the slight savings on shot and powder.

I may have to give 1/2 oz a try

Not slight savings, especially compared to a 1oz or 1-1/8oz load. The shot savings are substantial. The reduction in recoil lets me shoot 300-400 rounds in a day; even through my Beretta gas guns

Actually, just dropping the card into the shot cup, and then seating the shot cup as normal
followed by shot drop, seems the simplest method. Produces normal crimp.

Also, doesn't leave anything in front of the shot column to decelerate back through the
pattern as things exit the muzzle.

Food for thought about the wad placed atop the shot and the possible problem of the wad decelerating through the shot column and disturbing the pattern.
I shoot muzzleloading shotguns during hunting season. There is a much discussed loading in MLing circles. It is called the “skychief load”. It produces very nice patterns in many shotguns. The load places a well lubricated cushion wad atop the shot charge in lieu of the traditional overshot card

3/4oz load =s 533 shells per 25#s of shot. 1oz =s 400. If you shoot a lot it adds up in a hurry. About all I shoot is 3/4oz loads or my magnum 7/8 for trap [ all birds on edge ] . Not sure if I'm brave enough to try 1/2oz loads.

That well lubed wad over the shot - not sure how that works. I tried some Circle Fly .062 OS cards in brass shells and got donut patterns - big hole in the middle. The idea behind the thicker OS card was you wouldn't need to glue them in brass cases. Even my old reprint of a Sears 1905 catalog recommends a very thin - .032 card for OS so patterns would not get the ol donut pattern. With shotgun shells, 82grs of 2F, a OP .135 card and a 1/2" cushion wad, there ain't a lot of room for shot and a thick lubed OS wad. I'm not saying it wouldn't work but I'd just rather stick to proven methods.

I would love to use this, but the additional time it would take to place the shot card in the wad would add too much time to the process. Wish Claybuster would make the wad...just need to increase the bump in the bottom of the 3/4oz wad

Let us know how a half ounce 12 gauge patterns and breaks targets compared to a .410
Actually better... but not for why you'd think.
I found that the 410 barrels -- being but half the diameter of the 12 -- gave me a false sense of leading the bird in deflection shots.

The proportionate size of the 410 relative to the bird said I was leading enough....

I wasn't.... :mad:

Last edited:
It cannot be something the shot tube will jam down onto and get plugged with, while seating the wad.

I built a lot of 3/4 oz loads by sticking a dried bean down into the shot before moving to the pre-crimp station. Eventually got tired of the time required and just went with 7/8 oz.

Skeet rules do not allow shooting subgauge with a 12-ga shell, regardless of how little shot you put in.

Back