03a3 recievers,help please..

old hawk

help , i can get an old 03 sporter, not the 03a3 but just 03 model.what this old foggy mind has forgotten is the numbers on the recievers that were weak and the makes of them as well for that problem,i have this need to know so i dont go ahead and fire up a lake city match round in my face.i plan on restocking it IF its safe. the numbers is in the 60,000 or 600,000 range,cant remember wife was doin her damndest ta get me away from the rack an out the door before i could say them werds i take it.seems to have a reasonable after market trigger and an old uncle mikes box on the bottom too,shame the old schnable stocks kinda cracked tho......thanx.

According to Springfield Armory:

introduction of improved heat treatment: S/N 800,00 (like George said).

intorduction of nickel steel: S/N 1,275,767

This assumes you have a SA model as opposed to Rock Island:

RIA: improved heat treatment: S/N 285,507
Nickel steel: S/N 319,921

All Remington M-1903 are 1942 and on and have the nickel steel receivers.

I happened to go the Armory last March while I was on business travel and the Armory people (its now a Community College and museum) copied the full list of M-903 for all models and manufacturers.

According to SA, the double heat treatment occurred in 1918 and the nickel steel change in 1927.

Albin

thanx george, i looked allover the net yesterday and last nite devouring info as i saw fit, its a rock island # 90,000
o3 not 03a3 range, think im gonna pass even tho its been well shot. im ugly enuff and kinda like whats left of my old sourpuss 8o).
but now a second question is in persuit tho? if its a prenickel steel job, would could maybe safe?.i realllllly like it but then again i hate wallhangers iwannashootititis syndrome.ill dive back in at old guns net and see whats said later on.

Old Hawk, Rock Islands under SN 285,507 should be considered "low number" so again with that serial number I'd let it hang on someone else's wall. George

Back