03 question

filric48

Inactive
I'm getting my 03 soon and I already have two Mosin Nagants , do I enter these into my Bound book? I'm in California.

Not if they we bought without the use of the C&R 03 FFL.
The only thing you enter into the book are firearms bought using the 03 ffl

Not quite correct.
Any C&R gun you get while you have an 03, whether you use it or not, must be entered into your boundbook. You do not have to enter any C&R guns you own before you get an 03 unless/until you dispose of them. At that time you must enter it as "Previously Owned" and then you can log it out.

JonnyC is very correct. Any C&R eligible firearm you acquire after issuance of your C&R license should be logged in. If you dispose of any C&R eligible firearms you acquired prior to date on the license, log it out as he recommends. The terms and conditions of the license apply to all C&R firearms coming into or out of ownership during the tenure of the license.

Not quite correct.
Any C&R gun you get while you have an 03, whether you use it or not, must be entered into your boundbook.

The question was whether a gun purchased PRIOR to obtaining the C&R had to be logged into the bound book.

The question was whether a gun purchased PRIOR to obtaining the C&R had to be logged into the bound book.

What part of this statement do you not you understand?

You do not have to enter any C&R guns you own before you get an 03 unless/until you dispose of them. At that time you must enter it as "Previously Owned" and then you can log it out.

You have no obligation to log in weapons to your "bound book" that you acquired before you had a 03 C&R FFL.
That said ,you also are not obligated to turn in your bound book after or when you decide to let you 03 C&R FFL expire.
For that reason I log all my weapons modern etc in my bound book . That way I have one centalized permanent record of all my weapons in case of theft , insurance claim etc.
I do have all the weapons purchased before my 03 C&R FFL and all modern weapons logged in the back pages.
PS I aslo made a pic DVD of all my weapons. One pic with a overall view and one with a close up of the serial #.
You can get a lot of still pics on one DVD :D

Last edited:
Back off, Hawg, I have no problem reading and understanding standard English. Any and all C&R eligible weapons that are acquired while you possess an 03 must be logged in, whether or not you used the FFL to purchase it, AND any prior C&R purchases must be logged in for disposal. That last bit was not stated in the 2nd post, and could be important info for the OP.
Got any issues with that???

Back off, Hawg, I have no problem reading and understanding standard English. Any and all C&R eligible weapons that are acquired while you possess an 03 must be logged in, whether or not you used the FFL to purchase it, AND any prior C&R purchases must be logged in for disposal. That last bit was not stated in the 2nd post, and could be important info for the OP.
Got any issues with that???

jonnyc, I think Hawg's comment was in response to my post.
I overlooked where you had answered filric48's question and Hawg was kind enough to point this out to me. :o

I still don't understand why a C&R gun purchased prior to obtaining a C&R license doesn't have to be logged in the bound book but must be logged out when it leaves your possession. But maybe I'll save that question for another day, when Hawg's in a better mood. :D

Dino, the reason you log out pre-FFL03 firearms is because the FFL03 is there to regulate transfers of Curio & Relic arms, not their ownership. Transfers that occur, either into or out of your possession, while your FFL03 is current, are subject to the regulations. If you already owned it before FFL03 came around, there was no transfer, and not subject to the requirements. The transfer occurs when it leaves your collection.

Dino, the reason you log out pre-FFL03 firearms is because the FFL03 is there to regulate transfers of Curio & Relic arms, not their ownership. Transfers that occur, either into or out of your possession, while your FFL03 is current, are subject to the regulations. If you already owned it before FFL03 came around, there was no transfer, and not subject to the requirements. The transfer occurs when it leaves your collection.

Makes perfect sense.
Thanks for taking the time to explain this.

I'm going to assume the answer to my question is "yes," but just to make sure, if you dispose of a previously owned C&R to an 01 FFL to sell for you, does it need to show a disposition in your bound book?

Back