03 FFL question

nate_g_2003

I'm going to apply for my 03 FFL, and want to put my wife (and maybe my dad) on there as well. Is it as simple as putting their info in the boxes on #9, and having them both fill out and sign a 5330-20 form and include those with the 5310-16 and payment?

Seems like it would be that simple but there are many threads about how people interpret a lot of the C&R rules differently. Would suggest you call the ATF since they are the ones that will processing the application.

Since an 03 is not for a business where multiple people might be doing the same function, my first thought is that an 03 is tied to only the single collector. It does appear that a very careful re-reading of the application is in order, and possible a letter to the ATF. Get any ruling from them on paper from DC, do not rely on the opinion of one regional agent.

I have followed many forums regarding C & R and have found none that disagree with the concept that the FFL03 is an individual collector license. However you should follow the advice in post #2; go online and download the regs from the BATF website and ensure for yourself of what the regs state.

Knowing the regulations is a personal responsibility of any licensee. Because you will be the one dealing with any consequences, you need to be clear on the wording and feel comfortable with implementing the regs.

This might help, but who knows when you are dealing with a Federal bureaucracy.:eek:

4 Section 9 is where you list the individual or persons responsible for the license. You'll have to include all your home addresses for the past five years, place of birth and date as well as a current phone number. The second column asks for your position. As a non-business entity you should enter "Collector", followed by your social security number. If you need more space then is provided on the form, use a separate sheet with your name, address and social security number at the top of the page.
ATF Form 7CR
http://www.garandgear.com/cnr_ffl_03

nate_g_2003 said:
I'm going to apply for my 03 FFL, and want to put my wife (and maybe my dad) on there as well. Is it as simple as putting their info in the boxes on #9...?
I'm going to go out on a limb and say NO, unless they are individual owners, partners, officers, or agents for a business.

Here's the form:

https://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-5310-16.pdf

Here's my reasoning (my emphasis in boldface). Section #9 is for...
ATF Form 7CR (5310.16) said:
Each Individual Owner, Partner, and Other Responsible Person in the Business... See Definition #7 for Responsible Persons.
From the "Definitions" section of the instructions:
ATF Form 7CR (5310.16) said:
Responsible Persons - In the case of a corporation, partnership, or association, any individual possessing, directly or indirectly, the power to direct or cause the direction of the management, policies, and practices of the corporation, partnership, or association, insofar as they pertain to firearms.
My interpretation of these two clauses is that Section 9 is only filled out if the FFL is being obtained for a business- an established corporation, partnership, or association. The section identifies the particular individuals authorized to make decisions on behalf of the organization. However, if the FFL is being obtained for an individual, I don't believe that Section 9 is applicable.

Mandatory disclaimer: I am not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV. ;) This is not legal advice. Caveat emptor and YMMV.

Back