03 A4 project rifle

Calfed

I've been planning a new CMP vintage sniper match project utilizing a sported 03A4 that I got years ago. The rifle was very finely polished and blued, but the metal appears to be uncut...so no need for a new barrel, bolt, or scope mount. I've got most of the bits for the restoration.

YJpy2B2.jpg

vHK6w2h.jpg

uZvarzD.jpg

qrcKIug.jpg

I made a quick trip to the range yesterday to shoot the the 03A4 in its present condition. I had some Hunting Shack 175 gr ammo, which the 03A4 didn't seem to be thrilled with. Shot both groups at 100 yards.

ukYVnew.jpg

Also some Federal Powrshok 150 gr, which the rifle seemed to like more. I made two scope adjustments (first hit was far right), adjusted the scope (fired two more, which impacted left of the first shot), made another adjustment and fired a five shot group.

gG0c7NC.jpg

to shoot in the CMPs sniper match, you'll have to replace the stock and barrel. Also the scope.

Something looks funny on the rear of the bolt, but that may be my eyes

Are you planning on putting it back into an '03 stock or bedding the stock you have?

You'll probably want to do some more load testing, get a box of 168 & 173gr SMK's and see how they work out.

I've got a scant stock that may be an original replacement A4 stock, as well as most of the bits to restore it back to match-legal configuration.

22dVZGf.jpg

QbHRMuu.jpg

I've got a Weaver K2.5 with a post and crosshair, as well as a Lyman Alaskan, so I'm covered on optics.

The barrel is full length, but has been polished so finely that there is no longer any stampings visible. Looking it over, it may have been turned down
AdiL525.jpg
HdGWl59.jpg

If I were to start a project like this, I'd first give We a call to Warpath Vintage in Denver CO., Chuck does this for a living and he's one if not the very best at it.

Why would you have to replace the barrel? It has been buffed and blued but it is still full length with the vestigial front sight notches. Get it Parkerized, maybe.

Why would you have to replace the barrel? It has been buffed and blued but it is still full length with the vestigial front sight notches. Get it Parkerized, maybe.

I do not think I would have to change the barrel.

Calfed, I have an 03a3 I picked up cheap, somebody had sporterized it with crooked scope base mounts and Fajen stock.
I sent it to him and he straightened that mess out, it's a fine shooting rifle now.
I am going to leave it sporterized.

Back